[OpenAFS] Kerberos 5, AFS, and no krb524d

Christian Ospelkaus christian@core-coutainville.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:47:37 +0200

> Yes, MIT Kerberos 1.2.4 on Debian.
> Both of the above works fine when connecting from Linux machines. I can
> mount the user's directory, work with rights etc.

I have found the following to work really nicely under Debian with XP / 2K
clients: I use the heimdal kdc packages for debian. You can compile Heimdal
with support for KA and V4, and this is the case with these packages. The
Windows client speeks plain V4, and heimdal can answer such requests. That
allows you to transparently obtain tokens when logging into 2K / XP. I
followed the instructions at:

http://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/KerberosAFSInstall#HeimdalKTH

There are some things to observe, however:

Before you follow this procedure, make sure your krb5.conf is setup as
documented in the wiki, in particular before creating any pricipals.

You need to make sure you have both the afs/cell@REALM and afs@REALM
principals. I did this by doing a

dump -d <filename>

in kadmin, after creating the afs/cell@REALM principal and after removing
3des, then editing that file, removing all lines except the afs/cell@REALM
line, then deleting the /cell in the one remaining line and doing

merge <filename>

in kadmin. It took me some time until I noticed that the ktutil copy command
will never create a new KeyFile - it seems it can only add the key to an
existing KeyFile.

Note that I still use the pam modules

libpam-openafs-session
libpam-krb5

from the MIT distribution; these only require the MIT library packages to be
installed, which nicely coexist with heimdal stuff.

This seems to be the best configuration for me, and it works out of the box
with the precompiled packages, giving you a krb5 kdc with backwards
compatibility for klog and the W2K / XP client...

Best regards,

Christian