[OpenAFS] Kerberos 5, AFS, and no krb524d

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:46:24 -0500

Derek Atkins wrote:

> "Douglas E. Engert" <deengert@anl.gov> writes:
>

> > I see now why we never had this problem. The modified krb524d and gssklogd would
> > change the principal names in the returned ticket so that the principal appeared
> > to be a local K4 principal for the realm=cell. i.e. even if I was using a K5
> > principal of dengert@KRB5.ANL.GOV the AFS token would have dengert@anl.gov
>
> Yea, this would explain why you didn't see the problem.
>
> > So what are the implications of an AFS cell accepting tokens from multiple
> > realms? You could use cross realm support, or if you did something like we did,
> > map the principals to AFS users in the cell.
>
> This is what the old Athena "Realms" file hack did..  The problem was
> that "warlord@ATHENA.MIT.EDU" and "warlord@MEDIA-LAB.MIT.EDU" would
> both map to the same AFS user..

We use something based on the Umich's uniqname, for all the trusted realms,
so this is not a problem for us.

> So you had to trust both realms.
> Also, ISTR that both realms had to have the same afs/<cell>@realm key
> and kvno...

Actualy the /usr/afs/etc/KeyFile could have multiple keys and kvnos so
they could have different keys, if the kvno does not match. We use this
trict too.