[OpenAFS] Distributing passwd

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:20:37 -0400

We use a home-grown tool suite.  We keep a file in AFS that contains
what would be everybody's /etc/passwd entry with an extra field on the
end of comma delimited properties indicating services people are
subscribed to.  Publicly available AFS clients periodically rebuild
their /etc/passwd files by selecting entries with appropriate properties
and combining them with local ids from a locally managed config file.

We'd be in more of a hurry to migrate the whole thing over to LDAP if it
weren't working just fine as it is...
--
Todd_Lewis@unc.edu

fronils wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how does people go about the problem of distributing files like /etc/passwd to
> clients? Using NIS or something else?
>
> Thanks,
> Frode Nilsen

    /Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-962-5273  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
   /   A picture is worth a thousand words, or in the case of    /
  /     modern art, the same word repeated a thousand times.    /