[OpenAFS] Distributing passwd

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
11 Jun 2003 12:48:45 -0400

Stephen Joyce <stephen@physics.unc.edu> writes:

> It would be wise to think twice (or more!) before deploying NIS due to
> security concerns.

Ok, what security concerns?  The encrypted password isn't stored there
(we use Kerberos) -- you can just put a '*' in there.  So, what
particular concerns about NIS are you worried about?

> Have you considered simply storing master copies of your passwd, group,
> hosts files, etc in AFS and having each client regularly update its local
> copy from the master?

Ok, how is this any more secure than NIS?  Your client isn't authenticating
or encrypting this traffic any more than NIS is.

-derek