[OpenAFS] krb5 migration questions

David Botsch dwb7@ccmr.cornell.edu
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:29:36 -0400

Two questions on krb5 migration, which we are in the process of testing (btw, I
am writing up what we do and will submit it for wiki, etc when we are done).

The first question is on this note in the wiki:

if using krb5 1.2.6 or later from MIT, add to krb5.conf on krb524d host to
continue using old-style krb4 ticket derived tokens:

[appdefaults]
afs_krbt = {
        REALM.NAME = {
                afs=false
                afs/cell.name = false
        }
}

Why, exactly, is this necessary? And, are we referring to aklog type tokens
here, etc (Macs, for example, initially get tokens with aklog'ing on krb4
tickets).

Next:
It is mentioned many times that the afs principle in krb5 should be created
with -e des-cbc-crc:v4

Why not des-cbc-crc:afs3 ?

And, I have noted that when doing:
kadmin: addprinc -randkey -e des-cbc-crc:v4 afs

kadmin: getprinc afs

(snip)
Key: vno 1, DES cbc mode with CRC-32, no salt
(snip)

Ok, so, no salt? Is this right? Is this a bug in krb5 version that we have?

Examining a user imported with the krb5 migration kit:

Key: vno 0, DES cbc mode with CRC-32, AFS version 3

On the test krb5 server, I can still get tokens (from Linux, at least) using klog and fakeka.
 So, maybe nothing is wrong. Or maybe this will cause a problem in the future?
Problems with other OSes maybe?

Thanks!

--
David William Botsch