[OpenAFS] Distributing passwd

John Rudd jrudd@ucsc.edu
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:26:03 -0700

On Thursday, Jun 12, 2003, at 14:39 US/Pacific, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Nathan Neulinger <nneul@umr.edu> writes:
>> If not, faking the master will get you root on the client.
>
> Of course.. Similar with Hesiod.. or LDAP.. or....

Which is why we based our account system on a periodic, kerberos based,
file transfer when I was at cygnus.  We were particularly fanatic about
avoiding NIS.  At UCSC, we use a combination of "passwd file copied
into/out of AFS space" and "Hesiod on some machines".

For LDAP, are there any nss-ldap modules that support using SSL/TLS
with client-side certificates?  That would allow you to give each host
a client certificate for the SSL-LDAP requests, and keep a matching
server cert on the servers.  If it can be set up properly, then a
forged server would fail the SSL/TLS handshake.  If you can't, then
perhaps you could fake this by having clients use localhost for their
nss-ldap server, and then run stunnel out to the actual server.
Stunnel will do client+server certificate authentication on your
SSL/TLS session.  Either way, that also gives you encrypted data.

I personally hope to get some project time for investigating the
auto-cvs (using gssapi for authentication) + cfengine method, but that
wont happen until after the summer (though, one of my peers, who also
reads this list, is looking over cfengine right now ... maybe I can
convince him to do look at the cvs part, too).  Does anyone see any
potential issues with that?  (I don't recall if cvs with gssapi
actually encrypts the data or just the auth part)