[OpenAFS] Volume backup in distinct server

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:37:18 +0200

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 03:25:28PM +0100, Joao Pedro Barreto wrote:
> Please correct me, but if I use 'vos addsite', I can only create a
> readonly volume of my read/write volume (when I tried 'vos addsite' with
> the readonly clone, it wasn't allowed). This means that, issuing a 'vos
> release', my read/write volume will be locked for some time, which is
> not desirable.
> Am I correct?

IIRC, the locking time should be very short. The release works like:
- make snapshot similar to "vos backup" (probably involves a short lock)
- transfer contents of snapshot to RO volume (maybe even only changed
  files)
- lock volume
- transfer differences since snapshot to RO volume
- remove snapshot
- unlock volume

Though, I'm not sure how correct this is.

> Using the following approach, I guess I could avoid this problem: create
> a backup volume on the same server/partition of the original W/R volume,
> then making 'vos dump Myvolume.backup | vos restore backupVol' to
> transfer the contents to a volume on the other server/partition.
> Do you agree?

This would also work but always transfers the whole volume across the
network.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/