[OpenAFS] OpenAFS speed

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:00:39 +0200

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 04:52:45PM +0200, Lukas Kubin wrote:

> I'm running OpenAFS version 1.2.9-2 (Debian package) on a 2-processor
> machine, where "vicepa" is on RAID5 (Adaptec) container installed. The
> filesystem used is ext3.
> When I try to write one 700 MB large file to AFS, it takes more than 3
> minutes to complete. I tried this both locally (by generating the file
> with "dd" from /dev/zero) and through 100 Mbps network. The result was the
> same.
> Is this normal feature of AFS or do I have to do some tuning?

What is your client cache size? The file always goes through the cache.
Therefore (if the cache is large enough), the file is copied to the
local cache first and then (on close()) it's written to the server.
If the cache is smaller, it get's worse.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/