[OpenAFS] OpenAFS speed

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:43:34 +0200

There are several possible reasons for slow file transfer. To find out
which ones are important I would try the following tests:

1) Find out how fast your RAID system is by creating a /vicepa/tmp and
writing your file directly in there. But be sure your program does a
fsync() call otherwise you only measure how fast it writes into the I/O
buffers. The RAID 5 performance should be at least 30 MB/s, good
IDE-RAID5 systems go up to 100 MB/s

2) The client cache: the local disk on the client may be not very fast
and also already busy by other activities on the machine. I found best
results using a ramdisk cache. In our Linux-cluster with Gbit Ethernet
and ramdisk cache I see transfer rates of > 25 MB/s into AFS.

3) Net topology and load. What do you get out of "iperf" between your
client and server?

All 3 results combined may explain the slow transfer rate.

-Hartmut