[OpenAFS] OpenAFS speed

Nathan Ward nward@esphion.com
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:16:46 +1200

Several times I have mentioned this and gotten no useful response that I
can remember.

I am running OpenAFS on linux machines. Take a look at the context switches
on the client and the server....

(vmstat 1, look at the "cs" column)

NFS solves this problem by having a fully kernel server and client.

What causes these context switches? I'm not too sure. Is it possible to
find out? Again, I don't know.  IIRC context switches occur when switching
from kernel to userland and vice versa. Perhaps with all the reading and
writing disks (client cache and server datastore), and sending packets over
the network there are this many context switches..?

People claim that "OpenAFS scales better", sure it definately does, but
should this mean that it's maximum speed is degraded? I don't see how this
can be..?

Nathan Ward

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:52:45 +0200 (CEST), Lukas Kubin <kubin@opf.slu.cz>