[OpenAFS] OpenAFS speed - some benchmarks

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
25 Jun 2003 11:41:16 -0400

Rodney M Dyer <rmdyer@uncc.edu> writes:

> How about trying the same test with multiple files at the same time.
> While you're at it, do it with Kerberized NFS instead.  AFS might be
> slower, but NFS < v4 is totally unsecured.  Comparing AFS with NFS is

A comparrison between AFS and NFSv4 would be extremely useful.  I'd
definitely like to see how those compare.  If NFSv4 is significantly
faster than AFS on "the same hardware" then I think we DO have some
major performance enhancements to work on.

> just too complicated, the feature set is too different.  If you think
> you can, you're probably smoking the wrong stuff.  Maybe I'm wrong,
> but I think not one AFS user is going to throw away all the good stuff
> just to get more speed.  That said however, any increases that can be
> made in AFS would be welcomed, especially on the Win client.

> Rodney

-derek