[OpenAFS] redhat kernel 2.4.20-18.7 build problem

Tim C. tim@umbc.edu
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:54:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Tim C. wrote:
>

> > I'm having a problem building openafs 1.2.9 with the 2.4.20-18.7 redhat
> > rpm kernel.  I initially tried this with the rpm src, and then with
> > straight source.  This is redhat 7.3.  Here is what I'm getting when I
> > try to compile it:
>
> []
>
> >   So it doesn't seem to find "linux/syscall.h".  Building with
> > 2.4.18-3(the default redhat 7.3 kernel) doesn't throw the same error,
> > and it seems to have that file.  Not sure if anyone knows about this?
>
> do you have configured kernel headers installed?

  I have the kernel-source for both the 2.4.18-3 and the 2.4.20-18.7,
which is what was required for all previous builds.

  Here's what I've come up with, and hopefully someone will understand
this better than I. ;)

Configure tests for sys_call_table to be exported.  It uses a short
program to compile which does a "#ifndef __ver_sys_call_table...throw
erro".  __ver_sys_call_table is defined for rh kernel 2.4.18-3, and also
a standard 2.4.20-xfs.  It is not defined for 2.4.20-18.7.  When this
happens, it doesn't set "EXPORTED_SYS_CALL_TABLE" in
src/config/afsconfig.h.  Then, cause of this, when it goes to compile
the libafs stuff, it fails on osi_module.c because it has this section:

#ifndef EXPORTED_SYS_CALL_TABLE
#include <linux/syscall.h>
#endif

Because EXPORTED_SYS_CALL_TABLE is not defined.  However, unlike older
redhat kernel versions, "linux/syscall.h" does not exist in 2.4.20-18.7.

Now...commenting that section out, so it doesn't attempt to include this
file seems to make it compile, but a) I'm not sure of the implications
of this, and b) if that's okay, then perhaps we need to just pull those
lines out?

Thanks,
  Tim(who is hoping this invokes more than a one line unhelpful
responce)

Tim Craig            These are my opinions and not my employers. :)
OIT-Systems
tim@umbc.edu         It's hard to be serious when you're
                       naked. - Garfield