[OpenAFS] OpenAFS speed - some benchmarks

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:41:13 -0400

  So, files on the NFS server are owned by user/principle name, instead of
  being owned by UID number (the way things are usually done with unix
  file systems)?

That's right, although our linux server translates the principal name back
to a uid so it can use ext2 as its storage.

  Does this mean the NFSv4 client will have to translate from the unix UID
  of the user doing that file transaction to a principle name, and then do
  all of its transactions that way?

If your client only knows about uids, yes.  But a client can't do much
without kerberos creds, so it's going to have the principal for the user
already.  The other place this comes up is when you want to set an acl.  If
you're stuck with posix acls then the client will have to translate.

  (I'm hoping it will be per-transaction and not per-mount, as the latter
  would greatly suck ... yet, it's my understanding that the latter is
  exactly how previous kerberized nfs's have worked)

I don't know what you mean by this.  The translation is per auth method.
Auth methods can change at any point, although I would expect a sensible
server would use a single auth method for all its files.