[OpenAFS] RO v. RW path not behaving on setup

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch@adelphia.net
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:26:43 -0400 (EDT)

All,

I am trying to (re)build my AFS server after foolishly wiping the physical
/vicepa volume (don't ask..).  Naturally, I had no backup, but didn't
really need any of the data anyway since this was "for play".

It seemed logical to start with the Transarc installation instructions at
the point where the root.afs volume is established and work forwards.
Everything seems to go fine, until the point where I replicate and release
the root.afs and root.cell volumes.

At this juncture, 'fs examine' should be showing the *.readonly volumes on
/afs and /afs/my_cell respectively.  Unfortunately, this does not happen.
I continue to see the rw volumes on both mount points - even after doing
fs checkvol.

When I attempt to stop AFS, 'umount' causes a kernel oops and the AFS
client daemons refuse to shut down.  After rebooting the server,
everything _seems_ to look right!  Both /afs and /afs/my_cell show up as
being the *.readonly variants.  But, now I am unable to get proper RO/RW
pathing behavior.

Example: I create a volume called my_cell.users, mount it under
/afs/.my_cell and release it.  It then shows up under /afs/my_cell, but
acts as an RO volume - the cache manager does not follow the correct path
on writes.  I've removed all volumes and retried this sequence several
times with exactly the same results.

I hate to wipe the entire AFS server install and start from scratch.  Can
anyone provide even a guess as to what's wrong?

Regards,

Steve