[OpenAFS] Problems with OpenAFS 1.2.8 install on RedHat 8.0

Woodman, Joel woodman@chuma1.cas.usf.edu
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 18:19:45 -0500

Hello, folks,

After installing OpenAFS 1.2.8 on a RedHat 8.0 system with the current
2.4.18-24 kernel, I've gotten the following error when I start the AFS
daemon:

Hmm...  I can't seem to find an AFS kernel module suitable for your Linux
kernel.  That means you will need to build or obtain a suitable module.
The following information may be of some use in obtaining assistance:
CPU Type:       686.intel.8
Linux version:  2.4.18-24.8.0 #1 Fri Jan 31 07:56:33 EST 2003
RedHat release: Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche)
Symbol versions:
  iget4      2d351a8b
  iget4      2d351a8b
  sock_create 63f19d31
Did not find matching module in SymTable
AFS module /usr/vice/etc/modload/libafs-2.4.18-24.8.0.o does not exist. Not
starting AFS.

I'll take a wild guess and say that kernel version 2.4.18-24 isn't supported
as a module doesn't exist for it in /usr/vice/etc/modload (imagine that), so
now I have a question: Should I back down to an earlier kernel, or are there
ways to convince OpenAFS that it can run with the current one? I would
rather not use developmental code, as I intend to use OpenAFS in a
production environment (once I let it out of the test network).

Apologies in advance for what's probably a stupid new user question.

-Joel