[OpenAFS] Openafs-Client and Windows

James Peterson james@abrakus.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 12:35:17 -0800

"User A logs in and maps some drives and works under afs. User A logs off.
User B logs in and gets the drivemappings of user A. He has no access to the
files, but why he must get the drives mapping. "

It is a design feature of Windows that it attempt to map the previous state.

It is a good idea to place the user table in "user" related area, either in
the registry or in the Application data area.  It is also a good design to
keep these tables out of the Windows/system area, because this is frequently
"write" protected for the user's own good.

"The client stores some Inforamtion about the drivemapping k: in the
Registry: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network\K]
"RemotePath"=3D"\\\\W2KTSRV2-AFS\\auto1"

Actually windows does that as a process of logoff.  It is not a function of
the AFS client.  The only way to prevent that is to dismount the AFS drives
through a hook, prior to logoff.  This is especially important to Terminal
Server and security issues.

"The client says the service is running but it doesn't work. OK."

AFS client Terminal Server support needs to get a hook into the logout
process in order to clean up the last users drive mapping.  The AFS client
also needs to have multiple locations of .ini files (as you stated).  I
didn't have the energy to get the Terminal Server issues worked out;
however, I would love to support our mapping out these issues.  There was
quite a response to the topic of roaming profiles and I have been collecting
various methods of use.  I would recommend you 'bone up' on past responses
and then we could specify a general solution that works for most of the
community.

Of course Open AFS is a volunteer effort and you don't have to take any of
my suggestions.

James
"Integrity is the Base of Excellence"