[OpenAFS] enabling dynroot in Windows client

Ted Anderson TedAnderson@mindspring.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:42:11 -0500

On 3/19/2003 10:26, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Ted Anderson wrote:
>>I've searched around the web, openafs logs and the Wiki but can't find
>>any instructions on how to enable DynRoot in the Windows client
>
> I've never tried it, but:
> https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-devel/2001-October/001927.html

Thanks for the very quick response.  This did the trick.

To the registry I added:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\Parameters\FreelanceClient=1
and created the file c:/winnt/afsdns.ini containing:
[AFS Domain Name Servers]
ns1=your.ns.ip.here
and restarted "IBM AFS Client" and it seems to work.  The cells I touch
get added to c:/winnt/afs_freelance.ini.

I updated the Wiki[1] with this information.  I hadn't found that page
because it didn't contain the string "dynroot" and I couldn't remember
"freelance".

Thanks again,
Ted

[1] https://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/DynamicRoot