[OpenAFS] AFS initial setup problem

Paul Jimenez pj@place.org
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:01:12 -0600

On Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003, Derrick J Brashear writes:
>On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Paul Jimenez wrote:
>
>> CellServDB does contain my cell information.
>> ThisCell does point to my cell.
>> This installation is meant to be client-only - do I have to
>> create a root.afs volume on it?  My other cell (on a debian machine)
>> works fine, and I'm pointing this client at it.
>
>well, does a server exist serving data including a root.afs in the cell
>the client claims to be in? a cell has to exist, you don't need it to be
>served from the same machine, but you don't get to make something up.

I have debian machine A that is both a server and a client.
I'm trying to set up machine B as a client to the cell served out
by machine A.
A can mount (its own) /afs just fine.
B is set up with the same CellServDB and ThisCell as A. (and no, the
CellServDB does not reference 127.0.0.1)

Yet B shows the symptoms I explained before: it fails to mount /afs
if I do an /etc/init.d/afs start, and doing /etc/init.d/afs stop
causes not only what looks like a kernel oops traceback but also
makes some unkillable processes hang around.

Any help appreciated.

  --pj