[OpenAFS] [Q] Funny Traffic ...

Dexter "Kim" Kimball Dexter \"Kim\" Kimball" <dhk@ccre.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:21:55 -0700

Hello again,

You'll want to look at the value "cacheBlocksInUse" and the value
"cacheBlocksTotal."

Set the refresh time for afsmonitor to 3 seconds or so.

When the cache appears to be almost full (cacheBlocksInUse approaches
cacheBlocksTotal), the number of dcache items in use
will begin to drop -- meaning that the cache manager is beginning to free up
some cache space.

It's at this point I experienced the "hesitation," with very large caches
and very small data files (not quite the same setup as yours).

You're also interested in "cacheCurrDirtyChunks."  Before dirty chunks are
garbage collected, they have to be pushed back to the fileserver.  It would
take a lot of dirty chunks to affect garbage-collection time (they're
ignored when cache space is reclaimed, unless there are so many that they
_must_ be freed up), but it shouldn't be overlooked.

If you don't see this behavior (cacheBlocksInUse approaches
cacheBlocksTotal, and then reduction in cacheBlocksInUse) let me know.
There are other things that will trigger cache purges -- like running out of
Vfiles -- that will cause a cache purge to take place even though you've got
lots of cache (disk) space left.

WRT to chunk size, a client was looking for performance improvements and
experimented with 1 MB chunk size.  In their environment (AFS on a Cray,
CDDI to every user's desktop, several hundred megabyte data files) they saw
no improvement over the 64K default. Then again, they had a lot of hardware
horsepower at the time, had the Cray set up to run multiple instances of the
OS, and ran AFS server software for each instance of the OS.

According to the IBM AFS Administration Guide for AFS 3.6, setting
the -chunksize argument to 0 or setting it to anything greater than 30 will
cause afsd to set default chunksize.

In other words, valid values are 1-30, unless you want to reset to the
default of 64K.

Chunk size is set as 2 to the power of -chunksize.  That is, if you specify
"-chunksize 2" you'll get a chunksize of 4 bytes, and "-chunksize 16" will
get you a 64 K chunk size, which is the default.

2E30 or 1.073741824e9  (a gigabyte) is the largest chunk size permitted by
IBM/Transarc AFS 3.6.

So "-chunksize 30" should give a one gigabyte chunk size.

And "-chunksize 21" will give you a 2MB chunk size.

"-chunksize 20" will give you a 1 MB chunk size

and your chunksize value, to get the 256K chunks, must be 18, right?

Probably more than you wanted/needed to know.

Let me know what works in your circumstances, please.  I run into this
question frequently, and am way out of date on results.

It's been several years since I fooled around with any of this, and current
hardware speeds may invalidate what I found then.

Kim

Dexter "Kim" Kimball
CCRE, Inc.
dhk@ccre.com