[OpenAFS] re: my afs wish list

John Rudd jrudd@ucsc.edu
Thu, 1 May 2003 00:16:02 -0700

On Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003, at 14:38 US/Pacific, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>
>>> The problem is that every site does it differently.  Some sites use
>>> NIS
>>> for their NSS info.  MIT uses Hesiod for its NSS info.  Some sites
>>> use
>>> Hesiod for their NSS info.  What are the OpenAFS developers supposed
>>> to do?
>>
>> Port Moira to use a free database and ship it. ;-)
>
> I thought there was already a port of Moira to Postgres.  Isn't there?

We have a mid-90's version of Moira that runs on Ingres.

We're trying to get rid of it, but that means we've got to basically
write our own versions of DCM.  I'm letting my peers deal with that. :-)

(the plan is that we'll probably use a directory for the central
information repository, and then we'll have to write something that has
the functionality of afsgen and something for generating hesiod zone
files)