[OpenAFS] AFS Perl API bos & vos requirements (resend)

Norbert Gruener nog@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE
Fri, 2 May 2003 10:34:36 +0200

On Wed, Apr 30 2003, Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com wrote:

> What I would like to see is the bulk of the vos operations moved from
> vos into libvos.a, with a simple API, and then vos.c modified to use
> that library and API.  Then, the perl API can be coded to the simple
> API, with the bulk of the complex logic in the library.
>
> If you don't do this first, then you're going to be fighting a losing
> battle by reimplementing a LOT of the vos.c code into the XS library
> that is built into perl.  That's simply a bad, unmanageable
> architecture, and one we'll regret in the long run.

You are completely right.  This is not only true for the vos
operations but for the kas operations too.  But I doubt that the
OpenAFS developers will go into that direction in the near future.
And then there is not much choice left...

Cheers,

Norbert
--
Ceterum censeo          | PGP encrypted mail preferred.
Redmond esse delendam.  | PGP Key at www.MPA-Garching.MPG.de/~nog/