[OpenAFS] 1.2.9 solved volume release problems

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sat, 10 May 2003 20:28:46 -0700

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
> On Sat, 10 May 2003, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I'm pleased to report that upgrading all of our file servers to OpenAFS
>> 1.2.9 has completely solved the problems with volume releases
>> frequently timing out with "possible communication failure" error
>> messages.  We haven't seen a single instance of that since the upgrade,
>> whereas before volumes would require two or three tries to release 75%
>> of the time.

> We didn't fix it yet. I think you're just lucky

I don't think so... I really do think that *something* changed.  Maybe it
wasn't with the OpenAFS code, but I'm not sure what else it might have
been.

The difference is pretty hard to miss.  Volume releases were literally
failing about 75% of the time, and since the upgrade we've released
hundreds of volumes and haven't had a single failure.  Not even the
spurious messages we occasionally got about communication failures when
the release actually succeeded.