[OpenAFS] Newbie question: Replace Novell Netware with OpenAFS?

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed, 14 May 2003 11:21:15 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 11:12:16AM +0200, mkunkel@weru.de wrote:

> Today I read something about AFS and I wondered if it would be possible to
> replace a Novell Netware environment with an AFS environment.

IMO yes. But OpenAFS does not do all the stuff Netware does - you
probably need an own LDAP infrastructure to replace the Directory part
of Netware.

> Second question: Are there any GUIs to do the admin stuff?

Not really.

> Are there any good webpages (maybe in german) with a small summary of the
> most common features?

Have a look at
http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/urz/afs/
http://archiv.tu-chemnitz.de/cgi-bin/simple_search.pl?ScanText=AFS&OptionCaseInsensitive=true&Title=true&Subject=true&logic_operation=and&OptionFehler=0

> Is there a comparison between AFS, Win NT/2000/2003, Novell, ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=AFS+Windows+NT+Novell+DFS+comparison

HTH! Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/