[OpenAFS] two replicated servers

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
20 May 2003 09:37:14 -0400

matias morawicki <mmora@barcala.ing.unlp.edu.ar> writes:

> > This is true.  The machine with the lowest IP address get's an extra
> > half-vote in the quorum election, so if it goes down then you will
> > lose quorum.  The fix is to run with three database servers, because 2
> > > 1.5 (so even if your lowest-ip server goes down, you still have
> > quorum).
>
> you mean, three ptservers and three vlservers, right? All I need is another
> machine running those services or I also need to run the fs? I'm asking because
> I have an old router that might be the third server, but it doesn't have much
> memory (pentium 100, 32MB RAM), so I don't want to load it too much.

Correct, the third server only needs to be a DB server (running
bosserver, ptserver, vlserver, and perhaps kaserver if you use that).
However, I don't know if a pentuin-100 w/ 32M RAM is sufficient to
maintain the databases..  I guess it depends on the size of your cell.

> I've already have the homedirs, and they were created with -rw. I've been
> thinking about using "fs setprefs" on the clients to make them use the main
> server when it's available. Is there anything else besides what's on the docs
> that I should know? (like: is that rank saved or I have to set it again after a
> reboot?)

You have to set it after a reboot; it is not saved.

> I have another question, if I want to do that, I mean, to daily or weekly
> replicate homedirs, do I need a script to do the "vos release" for each volume,
> or I can use wildcards like "vos release user.*" ?

You need a script.

> thanks a lot

-derek