[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Server on dynamic IP address

Jeff Layton jtlayton@bigfoot.com
26 May 2003 20:48:45 -0400

I'm just getting my feet wet with OpenAFS and have just set up my first
cell on my home network. I have a cable modem connection with a dynamic
IP address, along with a dyndns.org address that gets updated when the
IP address changes.

Is it possible to run an internet-accessable AFS server behind a
masquerading firewall on such a setup? I've seen prior messages on the
mailing list that talk about setting up servers behind masquerading
firewalls, and I've seen where people have set up clients on dynamic IP
addresses (and behind NAT firewalls).

In the small bit of perusing of documentation that I've done, it seems
like the OpenAFS client works directly with IP addresses, and doesn't
allow for the DB server's IP address to change. Is this the case?

--
Jeff Layton <jtlayton@bigfoot.com>