[OpenAFS] Is there any standardization on sysname for linux/glibc?

Thomas M. Payerle payerle@benfranklin.physics.umd.edu
Thu, 29 May 2003 14:09:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I am trying to bring some linux boxes into an AFS infrastructure and we will
likely have several major versions of RedHat linux environments (and possibly
even some non-redhat systems in the future) in the infrastructure at any
given time.  (For now, all intel compatible cpus).

The default sysname when building openafs on linux follows the standard
arch_os, e.g. i386_linux22 or i386_linux24.  I had been using the latter for
some RedHat 7.x systems, but am about to put in some RedHat 8/9 systems, and
while these are still using a 2.4.x kernel, there has been a major version
change in glibc.  A search of web found an archival message acknowledging this
issue
(https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-devel/2000-November/000060.html),
but that was a while ago and did not actually resolve the issue.

I know I can change the sysname during compilation, and will probably just
add a _rh8, etc. suffix, unless there seems to be a consensus on the "proper"
naming for linux, as it depends on more than just the kernel version (at least
glibc, and possibly some other libraries).  How are others dealing with this
issue?

Tom Payerle
Dept of Physics				payerle@physics.umd.edu
University of Maryland			(301) 405-6973
College Park, MD 20742-4111		Fax: (301) 314-9525