[OpenAFS] AFS at single SAN system (may newbie question)

Thomas Schmidt t.schmidt@sh-home.de
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:36:45 +0100

Hello,

we want to integrate a SAN system in our company.

The clients should access this system over 2 (redundant) "SAN 2 Ethernet"
gateways (may called NAS). Network filesys (from NAS to client) should
be OpenAFS. This 2 gateways are connected over FC/SAN to 1 big FC/SAN
RAID. The 2 clients should share 1 (mirrored) OpenAFS volume running 1
SAN volume.

a little bit ASCII Art :

  SAN RAID
 ------+---+          ------------              **
| Vol  |   |          ------------  Ether- *  LAN    *-----| client 1 |
| for  +---+  SAN                   Net  *    with   *      ----------
| 2    |FC |          ------------       *  OpenAFS * \_ ...
| NAS  |   |---------| NAS Host 2 |------*   *     *\
 ------+---+          ------------         *   *   * \ ----------
        ^^^                                     **    | client n |
    FC-Controler                                       ----------
     FC Switch
   (redundant with
      Failover)

its no problem for the SAN system to provide the same Volume for more
than 1 hosts but can AFS handle this ?
i mean there are two hosts are scraping on the same Data ...

The idear is to get better failure protection and may also a load
balance ...

i hope i've described my problem so others could understand

Thanks
Thomas Schmidt