[OpenAFS] AFS at single SAN system (may newbie question)

Thomas Schmidt t.schmidt@sh-home.de
Tue, 04 Nov 2003 11:01:54 +0100

Hello and thanks for Your answers,

Horst Birthelmer wrote:

>what OS are you planning to run on the NAS boxes because as far as I know
>there are very few OSes which support concurrent access to the same SAN
>devices.
>
>I don't recommend that, even if it is possible in your OS (for example in
>AIX 5.x it is).
>Do the mirroring in AFS or think about some other solution. Don't share
>the storage.

I've dicussed that with several other people. And my conclusion is to
forget this idear.
It was an attemp to provide a redundant filesystem to our
Linux,Solaris,Irix and ... W2k clients.
Not that there are problems ( i talked with a SAN techie ) to mount one
SAN volume on 2 computers (like you've said), no, OpenAFS doesnt support
"distributed locking", like the comercial version of GPFS does (IMHO).
... But i dont think i can argue a comercial filesys to our budget
responsible persons ;-)

>We can talk offline about making AFS high available if you like... ;-)

:-) i think IBM has no Problem to distribute a good comercial solution
... for this. (GPFS ...)

mfg && thanks
Thomas