[OpenAFS] fs checkservers issue

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:00:46 -0500

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003 11:27:57 -0700 David Bear
<David.Bear@asu.edu> wrote:

> running openafs 1.2.7 (installed from compiled rpms) on redhat 7.3.
>
> I find the 'fs checkservers' always reports that all servers are
> running.  Even when I know there are problems with one or more of
> them.  Is this a known issue?

It's a common misunderstanding.  'fs checkservers' doesn't give you a
complete picture of what's working and what's not, and it was never
intended to do so.  What it does is tell you which fileservers your cache
manager has marked as 'down'.  That happens only when the cache manager
tries to communicate with a non-responsive server, so if a given CM hasn't
had a reason to talk to a particular fileserver, then it won't notice if
that server is broken.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer