[OpenAFS] AFS in linux kernel 2.6

David Howells dhowells@redhat.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:51:44 +0000

> So far nobody has stepped up to work on the issues.  That will most
> likely change once a stable 2.6.0 kernel is released and we start seeing
> significant adoption of it.

I have a way of emulating PAGs, storing security tokens and suchlike, but it
won't directly in to 2.6 (due to the feature freeze). It'll have to wait till
2.7 opens and then get backported at some point.

> You are correct that the AFS module included with the kernel is a joke.
> The only real use I can see for it is for remote mounts of /usr, for
> diskless booting or centralized software management.  I hope that the
> idea is to introduce tokens with the in-kernel crypto API.  Otherwise,
> it is mostly useless for real AFS sites.

I wasn't permitted to add the caching or automount support in to 2.6 due to
the feature freeze; nor can I add the security features until the token
retension stuff goes in - also waiting on 2.7.

David