[OpenAFS] AFS file-number, volume-size limits?

James E. Dobson James.E.Dobson@Dartmouth.EDU
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:32:07 -0500

Eben Calhoun wrote:

> Also, what is the actual size limit of an OpenAFS volume?  I've read in
> many places that it is around 8GB.  One of my volumes has over 13GB's in
> it.  Is this a problem?

Just to report my experiences, I have many large volumes with the
average RW volume being around 7.5GB (it looks like the average volume
size across all cells is much smaller, say 1GB). I have 6 volumes
larger than 45G with the largest currently at 205G. Our experience
suggests that there might be some stability problems with the standard
inode fileserver (esp. during salvage). We have moved our fileservers
to namei and used UFS logging (on Solaris 9) and have not seen data
loss during salvage since. As far as backups go, however, we don't do
them so I can't comment on that.

-jed

// Jed Dobson
// Department of Psychological & Brain Sciences
// Dartmouth College
// James.E.Dobson@Dartmouth.EDU
// (603) 646-9324