[OpenAFS] AFS file-number, volume-size limits?

R. Lindsay Todd toddr@rpi.edu
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:46:17 -0500

Eben,

    I see others have answered you about file numbers, which is not
something I knew.  But as far as the maximum size of a volume: There are
fields in the volume structures that store the number of "blocks" a
volume occupies, or may occupy (quota).  A block is 1K bytes.  These
fields are 32-bit signed integers (or just "ints").  This sets a firm
maximum size of a volume of about 2TB (1024 * 2^31).  This is theory,
not practice!  But I don't see anything else that would limit a volume
size, other than the practical problems of slugging this much data
around moving volumes.  But I doubt such large volumes get moved too
often.  Backup and restore are probably also issues.

    I suspect the "8GB" limit is someone's notion of a practical limit
for moving volumes around, or maybe at one time there really was a
historical limitation.  In any case, it is myth now.

    Someday soon the 2TB limit will need to be removed.

/Lindsay

--
R. Lindsay Todd                      email: toddr@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer            phone: 518-276-2605

The views, opinions, and judgments expressed in this message are
solely those of the author. The message contents have not been
reviewed or approved by Rensselaer.