[OpenAFS] Kernel crashing running client on Red Hat 9

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:37:35 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Sean Atkinson wrote:

> After several iterations to complete the list of troublesome servers I
> removed the openafs.org cell (reported lost contact with file server
> 130.237.93.141 = onyx.su.se) and witnessed kernel oops nastiness
> requiring a reboot to recover.  I'd seen similar behaviour on my failed

were the oopses when you were trying to mount root.afs in a cell for which
you had no correct CellServDB info? sad but true.

> server setup, but assumed it was some server malformed configuration.
> However it turns out that just removing the openafs.org entries crashes
> the kernel when only a client is configured, regardless of the server.
> Presumably this is related to leaving openafs.org in ThisCell, but
> shouldn't there be a cleaner failure and warning?

probably.

> Removing 128.2.121.218, listed in CellServDB as virtue.openafs.org,
> prevented warnings about the lost volume and file servers.  To prevent
> crashing I left 128.2.13.199, listed as new-virtue.openafs.org, and the
> afs service starts much faster.  Also I can now list the remaining good
> servers with "ls /afs" in under a minute.

the warnings are harmless, you time the "down" servers out once and go on
with life.

> Finally, it appears openafs.org DNS entries need updating - "virtue"
> resolves to 128.2.13.199, and there's nothing for "new-virtue".

not really, your client doesn't parse the hostnames in the CellServDB,
you're looking for problems you don't need to be. the CellServDB needs
updating, DNS is fine, thanks.