[OpenAFS] memcache option for Windows client

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:31:56 -0600

Rob Murawski <rsm4@cssd.pitt.edu> wrote:
> An in-memory cache option doesn't make sense for the Windows client.
> It uses a memory mapped file for the cache.  This means that, if
> sufficient memory exists, it is in memory.  It basically works like
> virtual memory where it will be mapped back to the disk when needed,
> but is addressable like memory.
>
> Do you have a need that the cache ONLY be in memory?

Actually, yes.

I have some clients with largish amounts of RAM, low disk space, and
slow disks.  It would be nice to avoid disk writes, as it significantly
reduces performance.  And the cache size would not be dependant on the
amount of free disk space on the machine, but only the RAM.

Perhaps it might be time to buy some larger, faster disks.

I was also attempting to create a disk-less Windows client using Windows
XP embedded, where disk access would complicate matters (although I have
not gotten far yet.)

<<CDC
Christopher D. Clausen
ACM@UIUC SysAdmin