[OpenAFS] AFS file-number, volume-size limits?

William Bulley web@merit.edu
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:05:15 -0500

According to Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org>:

> > > The way I found the problem is that a student was trying to create 64K+1
> > > files in a directory and it crashed the fileserver process on the server
>
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (apples)
> > I have 2300+ files in one mounted directory in AFS that can crash
> > OpenAFS 1.2.8 on FreeBSD 4.8-REL with regularity should I forget
> > and issue an ls(1) command in that directory.
>
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (oranges)
>
> not really. crashes the server isn't vaguely related to crashing the
> client

Sorry, I was not being technically accurate (generic instead) in my
use of the terminology.  They client is a FreeBSD client.  The AFS
server is a file server system.  The "server" is my workstation (client).
The AFS client is the cause of the problem.  Works fine on small sized
directories.  When the number of files exceeds 1000 (approx.) bad things
happen.  I happen to have 2300+ files (inodes) in the directory in question...
And a significant number of those files have file names in excess of 32 chars.

Restating, doing an ls(1) in an AFS mounted filesystem on my FreeBSD
4.8 client workstation causes the AFS (1.2.8) client to die (?) which
has the nasty side effect of crashing my FreeBSD kernel (?) forcing a
hard reboot.   I hate it when that happens...  :-(

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Email: web@merit.edu
Merit Network Inc.                 Ann Arbor, Michigan