[OpenAFS] ssh-3.7.1p2 on linux doesn't set AFS pag - can PAM do it?

Shawn Freebern smf@btv.ibm.com
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:55:04 -0400 (EDT)

I've built the latest openssh (3.7.1p2) on a linux system running the
latest release of openafs.  I don't seem to get a token on login unless I
enable -DUSE_POSIX_THREADS (and link -lpthread - see openafs-devel for
more on that topic).  My problem now is that sshd doesn't set a PAG on
login - everyone who logs in with ssh shares the latest tokens - and when
any session closes, everyone loses tokens.  I have UsePAM enabled and have
the default afs-aware pam.d/sshd.

This is probably due to the decision to remove AFS support from ssh.
openssh-3.7.1p1 has this code in sshd.c:

#ifdef AFS
        /* If machine has AFS, set process authentication group. */
        if (k_hasafs()) {
                k_setpag();
                k_unlog();
        }
#endif /* AFS */

The lack of that code would seem to be the problem - sshd is no longer
creating a new PAG.  Now, I could add the AFS code back into sshd - but
since the decision has been made to remove AFS support, it seems the
logical action here would be to set the PAG somewhere else - can PAM do
that for me, and if so, how?

As a second question, I noticed somewhere that -DUSE_POSIX_THREADS may
create a security problem - anyone willing to explain what I need to be
aware of there?

Thanks,
	Shawn

--