[OpenAFS] Drive mapping difficulties in Windows

Peter Schüller peter.schuller@infidyne.com
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:16:14 +0200

Hello,

I have (and always have had) some difficulties with drive mappings with AFS in
WIndows under certain circumstances. Only this time I was not able to fix it.

The problem is that settings pertaining to drive mappings do not seem to be
associated with the *account* when it should and the *machine* when it
should; it's kind of a mish-mash it seems.

Suppose I have user USER on machine MACHINE mapping drive X: to /afs. This
works fine. Then USER moves over to machine MACHINE-2 and tries to log in;
and now there is a stuck non-functinal drive mapping at X: to MACHINE-AFS;
and hence the AFS client on MACHINE-2 fails to map the drive correctly for
*that* machine.

In the past I have gotten around this by simply not mapping drives at all in
the user settings; but rather only mapping global drives. This worked, until
today when I added a third client machine at the location in question (it's a
off-site office where people switch computers back and forth, which isn't the
case at the main office).

On the new machine, I have so far been unable to make the global drive
mappings have an effect (they just don't get mapped - I have no clue why). In
other words, in order to have any mappings at all by default, I need to
configure them on a per-user level; which causes the above problem when the
user switches machine.

The new machine is running AFS 1.2.10; the others 1.2.8a. I don't know if that
is the reason for the change in behavior. I may try going back to 1.2.8a, but
that would be a shame.

I have tried disabling all the  AFS control center drive mappins alltogheter,
and letting Wake do the mapping. This didn't work either however, since Wake
too seems to not quite be decided on wheather a setting is per-user or
per-machine (the "map defaults drivers" option seems to be per-user, but the
actual drives to be mapped is on a per-machine basis editable with regedit,
but then there is a problem with these "submount" names used for the mounting
which cannot be changed by the user... or something like that, I don't quite
remember).

I guess my question is: What am I supposed to do? How do other people handle
this? I am assuming there are lots of people adminning sites with users using
random machines to access their AFS data. Am I perpetually doing something
wrong? Missing something?

My needs are very basic: Regardless of which machine a user logs in with, I
want one single drive mapping set up - in this case we've been using N:
mapped to /afs.  Nothing more complicated than that is required; it's just
that it breaks when users switch machines.

Thanks!

(Note: At no time is AFS actually non-functional; it's just that it requires a
lot of fiddling each time one changes computer (removing bogus share;
fiddling with drive mapping settings, etc). To me, this would be highly
annoying but usable; but to the average computer user it's equivalent of not
working at all.)

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org