[OpenAFS] Speed of release or incremental release (replication)?

Turbo Fredriksson turbo@bayour.com
25 Oct 2003 10:52:48 +0200

    Turbo> I'd like to have the most important volumes replicated, but
    Turbo> as it is today, even twice a day is to much hassle (it
    Turbo> locks up during release).

I think I have found the reason for this (this mail is for the archives)...

I have two (very!) old SPARCs (SS5) which have served as LDAP, Kerberos and
AFS servers (no volumes, only DB) and one PC (PII/333MHz/384Mb). The PC is
the main server (offering shell, IMAP, POP, SMTP, Web and most of all AFS
volumes). The SPARCs have been incredible (!) slow. I always thought that
they where just to old... Maybe they are, but to try to pin down the speed
problems I had with replication/backups, I installed NTOP on all three machines.

What that revealed was very alarming! Yesterday (just after the 'vos release')
I saw that roughly 500Mb UDP was transmitted and that seemed to have gone to
one of SPARCs! That was not the intention, but I can see how that's reasonable.
It have a LOWER IP address than the PC, so naturally it have 'higher quorum'
(or at least 'higher priority'). As designed...

So the only solution I could think of is to disable the 'vlserver' (but keeping
the ptserver running).