[OpenAFS] Slow writes with OpenAFS 1.2.8

Joao Pedro Barreto jpbarreto@mail.gsd.inesc-id.pt
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:38:15 +0000

I have been experiencing extremely slow writes when I use my AFS system.
  For example, writing 700MB of files to a AFS volume takes about 80
minutes to conclude. I've tried to do this with both a Windows 2K client
and a Linux client, and the results were similar.
In contrast, writing the same ammount of data to a WinNT file server on
the same local network takes typically less than 10 minutes!

Is this a known issue of OpenAFS or of the particular version of OpenAFS
I'm using (1.2.8)? How can I optimize my servers write performance?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Joao Pedro Barreto

Some additional details:
I have two PentiumII server machines (333Mhz with 128MB RAM and 2GB disc
each) running Debian Linux 2.4.18-bf2.4.
I have installed openafs-1.2.8 from its source code and set up an AFS
cell comprising the two server machines, connected to the clients
through a 100Mbps LAN.