[OpenAFS] buserver / butc binaries must be identical on all DB servers?

Musard, Kris Kris.Musard@spirentcom.com
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:39:57 -0400

I am in the process of migrating my cell from Transarc to OpenAFS.  I have 2
AFS database servers running Transarc and 2 AFS database servers running
OpenAFS.  I wish to add another OpenAFS database server and remove the
database from the 2 Transarc servers.  The 2 Transarc servers are also
fileservers using the AFS backup system and the butc daemon.  I found the
following document on the IBM AFS support website which says backups may
fail if different versions of the database server processes, backup and butc
are used on different AFS servers:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=961&context=SSXMUG&q=butc&uid=sw
g21047049&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en Does anyone now if this is still the
case?  I have not run into any problems with mixing and matching OpenAFS and
Transarc database servers yet, but I am thinking that any problems may be
masked by both Transarc servers having lower IP addresses than the OpenAFS
servers.  If anyone has experience with this, please share.

Thanks,

Kris Musard