[OpenAFS] FIX: broken hyperlinks to MS docs on AFS

Noel Burton-Krahn noel@bkbox.com
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:29:07 -0700

I had a problem with my AFS drive on WinXP:  Hyperlinks to Excel documents
on OpenAFS drives were broken.  Here's how to reproduce:

1. make two files: hyperlink.doc and broken.xls on an AFS shared drive (Z:)

2. put a hyperlink to "broken.xls" in "hyperlink.doc"

3. click on the hyperlink

4. Excel starts, then complains like so:

    "\\NOEL-AFS Could not be found.  Check the spelling of the file name and
verify that the file location is correct."

Sometimes I also got:

    "The server is not configured for transactions"

5. The problem: OpenAFS mounted my Z: drive with the netbios name
\\noel-afs\home, but
netbios could not resolve \\noel-afs

6. Strangely, all other documents opened fine. Just Excel had the problem

My solution was to make \\noel-afs visible to bios.

1. add this line to "c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/lmhosts"

    127.0.0.1 noel-afs #pre

2. run "nbtstat -R"

3. Now "nbtstat -n" reveals that "noel-afs" is really visible
    NOEL-AFS       <20>  UNIQUE      Registered

Has anyone else seen  this problem?  If so, are there other ways to fix it
without editing lmhosts?

Noel Burton-Krahn
noel@bkbox.com

BKbox - The total remote office solution
http://www.bkbox.com