[OpenAFS] Problems with upserver/upclient failing on bosserver restart

6delgado@informatik.uni-hamburg.de 6delgado@informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:04:38 +0200

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

Hi!

Using a large number of paths in the argument to upserver/upclient
makes bosserver terminate itself and remove the offending processes
from its configuration.

We're (mis?)using upserver and upclient to distribute quite a bit more
than just the contents of /etc/openafs<whatever> to our clients.

We have a directory /etc-common containing common configuration files
for all machines in a very small cell which are symlinked to /etc.

Since the number of subdirectories in /etc-common has grown larger
over time, and upserver/upclient are apparently unable to deal with
subdirectories (and permissions, but that's not the issue here),
upserver/upclient get a large list of directories (currently 10) on
their command lines.

When starting upserver/upclient on the command line with

bos create $SERVER upserver simple "/usr/libexec/openafs/upserver \
    -crypt $DIRS" -local
bos create $cl upclientetccommon simple \
"/usr/libexec/openafs/upclient $SERVER -t 900 $DIRS" -local

everything works fine. But when I restart bosserver with

                /usr/bin/bos shutdown localhost -localauth -wait
                killall -HUP bosserver
                /usr/sbin/bosserver

on the clients *or* the servers, bos fails with

Tue Sep  9 17:02:06 2003: bosserver: Something is wrong (-1) with the bos c=
onfiguration file /etc/openafs/BosConfig; aborting

bosserver terminates itself, but upserver, fileserver, volserver,
salvager, ptserver and vlserver are left running.

After the termination of bosserver the configuration lines in
/etc/openafs/BosConfig, which used to read:

bnode simple upserver 1
parm /usr/libexec/openafs/upserver -crypt <List of 10 Paths>
end

or

bnode simple upclientetccommon 1
parm /usr/libexec/openafs/upclient titan -t 900 <List of 10 paths>
end

have vanished.

We're using openafs-1.2.10 from self-built rpms on SuSE Linux 8.0.

Kind regards
     FDF
--=20
Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs   |               mailto: fd@dfn-cert.de
DFN-CERT GmbH                  |              pgp-key: 0x94A6047F
Heidenkampsweg 41              |                Phone: +49(40)808077-555
D-20097 Hamburg                |                  FAX: +49(40)808077-556
Germany                        |

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl--