[OpenAFS] Scripts To Move Volumes

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:31:03 -0400

On Friday, September 12, 2003 15:43:03 -0400 Lan Zhang
<chz@mercury.cs.wayne.edu> wrote:

> Does any one have a script to move volumes from one afs file server to the
> other? The script knows how to move the volumes based on the status of the
> volumes to be moved. For example, the script will run vos remove, vos
> addsite and vos release when the volume to be moved is RO; The script will
> run vos move when the volumes to be moved is RW; the script will run vos
> remove, vos move, vos addsite, and vos release when the volume to be moved
> is RW and RO.

Take a look at /afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/systems-jhutz/factools/afsvol, and
in particular at the 'massmove' command.  It does more or less what you
want, though there are a couple of bits of site policy to look out for;
particularly, the use of volume names like 'c.SERVER.PART' for "control
volumes" for each partition (we don't use these anymore, but the script
knows not to move them).  In the case of RO volumes, it will do the
addsite,remsite,release, and spit out a list of old RO volumes to 'vos zap'
later; this is because older AFS clients required up to 2 hours to notice
that an RO site had been discontinued.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer