[OpenAFS] OpenAFS client on SuSE 8.2

Jan Hrabe hrabe@mail.magalien.com
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:45:05 -0400

Hello,

I'd like to report one glitch with version 1.2.10 client that I encountered
on SuSE linux 8.2 (default 2.4.20-64GB-SMP kernel).  The client starts
fine the first time around and creates all the file structure in the
/usr/vice/cache (cache size 900000, $LARGE).  However, on a later start
(e.g., after a reboot), it never starts again and freezes the machine.

My (rather crude but effective) solution was to add a line to the startup
script that wipes out the cache before anything else is allowed to happen.
It would be great if there was a better way.

My other finding with SuSE 8.2 was that the AFS client (1.2.8) included in
the distribution cannot be used with the AFS kaserver, the pam_afs.so.1
does not seem to cooperate (although it occassionally gets the token with
the login service, it almost always fails with xdm and sshd).  The library
compiled from 1.2.10 source works fine.

On the whole, I am happy to conclude that the OpenAFS 1.2.10 client/server
setup works now pretty well on SuSE 8.2, including some old Transarc 3.6
Solaris 2.6 clients.  The patch provided by Vladimir Nadvornik is
necessary for the server.

Cheers,
Jan