[OpenAFS] AFS/UNIX attributes, home directories in AFS

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:38:42 -0400

Adam,

There are lots of "right" ways to set up home directories.  May I
suggest you look through the rather old but still accurate document
http://www.unc.edu/atn/dci/user_environment/loginscripts.html that
describes how our home directories and login scripts work.  I'm not
saying you should do it this way necessarily, but it's working well for us.

As for ssh and the XAUTHORITY variable, my ~/.ssh/environment is a
symlink to ../public/environment.ssh, which is a publicly readable file
(by virtue of it's being in my ~public directory with its
"system:anyuser rl" ACL) that contains the single line
   XAUTHORITY=/tmp/Xauthority_12428
(12428 is my uid.)  (This was suggested last year by somebody on this
list I believe.)  (I've never written 3 parenthetical statements in a
row before; woo-whoo!) That way ssh creates my Xauthority file in local
/tmp, and I can ssh into multiple hosts without them stomping on a
single Xauthority file in my AFS home directory.  This is typical of the
few but interesting convolutions you have to go through to get things to
work in a distributed file system.

Happy Computing.
   / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-962-5273  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
  / I fired my masseuse today. She just rubbed me the wrong way. /