[OpenAFS] AFS/UNIX attributes, home directories in AFS

mlist mlist@jurassic.central.org
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:16:53 -0700

--=-4CnulnzpPg+Ja02iw7Hb

Russ,

This is very good to know.  I have been getting a system ready to move
all files and home directories over to an AFS server.  I had the
toughest luck on getting Debian GNU/Linux kernel patches and this
weekend I just learned the Debian way.. using make-kbkg for my modules.
I have been doing that for the Linux kernel.  This worked out on a test
compile on another box and got the kernel modules just fine.

I did a search for xfs on this list and came upon the home home
directory issue.  This is how I am looking to set up my home directories
included in user directory:

home-dir    (so that the path would not be home/user/home/... seperate
os directories, I really don't know if I need to break down the actual
home directories into seperate directories esp with a unix base)
    linux
    osx
    maybe another one for windows if needed
public            (public drop boxes)
user-files        (user-personal files/directores)

Now using AFS the file permissions do change and having to log onto the
afs cell.

The Goal:  To have ALL files, user and the companies on the AFS server
and have one place to hold home directories for users no matter what os
platform the user is useing (GNU/Linux, or Apple OS X).

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 14:34, Russ Allbery wrote:

> We put all of our user home directories in AFS, so yes, clearly it's
> possible.  However, it does require some careful attention to file
> permissions and sometimes requires symlinking files into subdirectories so
> that one can set separate file permissions on them, as shown in the
> message to which you were responding.

I do hope you don't mind me asking.. I am still very new to afs.
(Although I got a fully functionaning Cyrus IMAP mail server I just set
up last week also using ACLs which I still admin through the terminal
till I can get the webadmin running)

Why is it nesseccory to put some files into subdirectories would they
still be subjected to AFS ACLs?  And would I do this just to  to files
that are always in the home directory (.ssh, .xsession)?  What about new
.configs that the user creates when using an application i.e. in GNOME?

-Adam

--=-4CnulnzpPg+Ja02iw7Hb

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Russ,<BR>
<BR>
This is very good to know.&nbsp; I have been getting a system ready to move all files and home directories over to an AFS server.&nbsp; I had the toughest luck on getting Debian GNU/Linux kernel patches and this weekend I just learned the Debian way.. using make-kbkg for my modules.&nbsp; I have been doing that for the Linux kernel.&nbsp; This worked out on a test compile on another box and got the kernel modules just fine.<BR>
<BR>
I did a search for xfs on this list and came upon the home home directory issue.&nbsp; This is how I am looking to set up my home directories included in user directory:<BR>
<BR>
home-dir&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (so that the path would not be home/user/home/... seperate os directories, I really don't know if I need to break down the actual home directories into seperate directories esp with a unix base)<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; linux&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; osx<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; maybe another one for windows if needed<BR>
public&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (public drop boxes)<BR>
user-files&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (user-personal files/directores)<BR>
<BR>
Now using AFS the file permissions do change and having to log onto the afs cell.<BR>
<BR>
The Goal:&nbsp; To have ALL files, user and the companies on the AFS server and have one place to hold home directories for users no matter what os platform the user is useing (GNU/Linux, or Apple OS X).<BR>
<BR>
On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 14:34, Russ Allbery wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE><FONT COLOR="#737373"><I>We put all of our user home directories in AFS, so yes, clearly it's
possible.  However, it does require some careful attention to file
permissions and sometimes requires symlinking files into subdirectories so
that one can set separate file permissions on them, as shown in the
message to which you were responding.</I></FONT></PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
I do hope you don't mind me asking.. I am still very new to afs.&nbsp; (Although I got a fully functionaning Cyrus IMAP mail server I just set up last week also using ACLs which I still admin through the terminal till I can get the webadmin running)<BR>
<BR>
Why is it nesseccory to put some files into subdirectories would they still be subjected to AFS ACLs?&nbsp; And would I do this just to&nbsp; to files that are always in the home directory (.ssh, .xsession)?&nbsp; What about new .configs that the user creates when using an application i.e. in GNOME?&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
-Adam
</BODY>
</HTML>