[OpenAFS] windows client startup issue

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:10:04 -0400

At 10:17 AM 9/18/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>we have systems that may or may not be connected to our network.  I
>would like to configure AFS client to
>1) NOT start up automatically on boot
>2) NOT try to do any afs auth automatically
>
>so, I went into the windows service control manager and set the IBM
>AFS Client service to 'manual' startup.

This was correct.  This will prevent the afsd_service.exe from starting.

>Still, afs throws and error when logging in.  I have also 'unchecked'
>the get afs tokens at logon feature.

This is caused by having AFS Logon Authentication enabled at startup.  You
go into control panel and run the AFS config tool to change that.  If that
is failing then you  need to look at two things.

The following registry keys turn on logon authentication...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\Parameters]
"UseIntegratedLogin"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order]
"ProviderOrder"="LanmanWorkstation,TransarcAFSDaemon"

So turning off logon authentication would be...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\Parameters]
"UseIntegratedLogin"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order]
"ProviderOrder"="LanmanWorkstation"

That is about it.