[OpenAFS] Strange Problems with AFS, Kerberos on AIX 4.3.3. - SOLVED

Tony D'Amato tdamato@odu.edu
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:50:14 -0400

When Jamal left, I took over trying to figure out this issue.

Reader's Digest version - we've got a small AIX 4.3.3 box which we're
planning to use to backup our new OpenAFS cell... it's gotta run the
Tivoli AFS backup client, which is why we're using AIX. Anywho, I back
tracked what was done, and rebuilt the AIX box. I then build MIT
Kerberos 5 1.2.7 w/ patches - that worked fine, it talks to our cell. I
then installed OpenAFS 1.2.10 and the AFS Kerberos Migration kit 2.0.
(IBM Kerberos was not installed at all).

Running kinit got my TGT (so far so good), but then aklog caused a hang
on the terminal session that I was running. After using IBM's dbx to
perform a few trace runs on the aklog binary, I found the problem was
the following code in aklog_main.c:

        /* on AIX 4.1.4 with AFS 3.4a+ if a write is not done before
         * this routine, it will not add the token. It is not clear what
         * is going on here! So we will do the following operation
         */
        write(2,"",0); /* dummy write */

Removing the "write(2,"",0);" causes the hang to go away, and aklog
worked successfully!

Just wanted to update this in case someone else is experiencing this
issue... Thanks y'all!
---
Tony D'Amato
Old Dominion University