[OpenAFS] klog incompatibility

Hans-Gunther Borrmann hans-gunther.borrmann@rz.uni-freiburg.de
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 16:52:23 +0200

Hello,

Environments:

Test cell test.uni-freiburg.de: OpenAFS 1.3.65 server and client software
under AIX 5.1

production cell uni-freiburg.de
	2 IBM AFS 3.6 servers, one OpenAFS 1.3.65 server

sv11: client only, binaries of Hartmut Reuter, runs under AIX 5.1.

If I use the klog of the distribution of Hartmut Reuter, I cannot get tokens
for test.uni-freiburg.de but for uni-freiburg.de
If I use the klog from 1.3.65 I can get tokens for test.uni-freiburg.de but
not for uni-freiburg.de
I have testet also under SUSE 9.0 and the OpenAFS which comes with the
distribution and have the same problem. I cannot get tokens for
test.uni-freiburg.de. Output from sv11 follows:

[root@sv11:root]# fs wscell
This workstation belongs to cell 'uni-freiburg.de'
[root@sv11:root]# klog hgb
Password:
[root@sv11:root]# tokens

Tokens held by the Cache Manager:

User's (AFS ID 1026) token for afs@uni-freiburg.de [Expires Aug  4 17:48]
   --End of list--
[root@sv11:root]# unlog
[root@sv11:root]# klog hgb@test.uni-freiburg.de
Password:
Unable to authenticate to AFS because password was incorrect.
[root@sv11:root]# /ufr/rs_aix51/usr/afsws-openafs-1.3.65/bin/klog hgb
Password:
Unable to authenticate to AFS because password was incorrect.
[root@sv11:root]# /ufr/rs_aix51/usr/afsws-openafs-1.3.65/bin/klog \
hgb@test.uni-freiburg.de
Password:
[root@sv11:root]# tokens

Tokens held by the Cache Manager:

User's (AFS ID 1026) token for afs@test.uni-freiburg.de [Expires Aug  4 17:50]
   --End of list--
[root@sv11:root]#

Further experiments show that the effect is dependend on the length of the
password. I have the problem with a password of 8 characters. If I choose a
password of 9 characters, all seems to work. I tested this also with a
different userid.

Any idea or help?

H.G.Borrmann
Hans-Gunther Borrmann <hans-gunther.borrmann@rz.uni-freiburg.de>