[OpenAFS] file server occasionally stops serving

Noah Meyerhans noahm@csail.mit.edu
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:26:36 -0400

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 05:15:51PM -0400, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> What does strace say is going on what this happens? Failing anything of
> note there, attach with gdb and generate-core-file (will dump a core from
> running process then leave the process continue running), then get a
> backtrace of all the threads from the core, drop in a file, and send a
> pointer back here.

Well, it happened again.  One of the fileserver processes started using
100% of available CPU time and the machine stopped serving files.  Per
your recommendation from June 22, I've generated a core file from the
spinning fileserver processes.  You can find it at
http://www.csail.mit.edu/~noahm/fileserver.core

One of the threads in the fileserver process was in the 'free' function,
which looks somewhat suspicious.  The backtrace for that process looks
like this:
(gdb) where
#0  0x400aabce in free () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x400aaaa3 in free () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0x08091f1c in strcpy ()
#3  0x080a3fe6 in xdr_reference ()
#4  0x0808fb3d in strcpy ()
#5  0x080985f4 in strcpy ()
#6  0x080acff6 in xdr_reference ()
#7  0x0808e305 in strcpy ()
#8  0x4001d0ba in pthread_start_thread () from /lib/libpthread.so.0

I don't know if that means anything to you.  Hopefully you'll be able to
get more info from the core file.  The executable that generated that
core file is the fileserver executable from the Debian OpenAFS packages
at
http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.2.11/debian-3.0/

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help with the debugging
process.

Thank you!
noah

--=20
Noah Meyerhans                         System Administrator
MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP--